Monday, March 12, 2012

Happy 100th Birthday, Girl Souts


Happy 100th Birthday, Girl Scouts! I loved my time as a Brownie and Girl Scout. Troop meetings at the church next to our elementary school, competing in the Troop Talent Show, selling cookies, doing community service, and BADGES! Oh how I loved my badges, and wanted to earn more and more of them (my determination emerged at an early age...) I remember the paperback book that had the available badges in them - there was a picture of the badge and then a list of all of the things you had to do to earn it. I'm so happy that my young nieces are carrying on the family Scouting tradition!

As an adult working in the nonprofit arena, I can say that Girl Scouts has one of my favorite mission statements:

Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.

I mean, really... How could you say it any better than that?

I posed a question on my Twitter feed today: What could I do to make my client meetings more like Girl Scout meetings this week? Give out Girl Scout cookies? Do craft projects? Award badges for new skills? Tempting, tempting...

No comments: