Thursday, May 06, 2010

400 hours!

Last night I went to the volunteer appreciation event at Georgetown University Hospital, where I have been volunteering for four years. I was thrilled to be presented with my 400 hour pin! Meaning that I have given more than 400 hours of volunteer service to the hospital. (I volunteer in an area called Oncology Infusion, where the patients are primarily cancer patients who come to the hospital on an outpatient basis to get chemotherapy).

Volunteering at G'town Univ. Hospital is the highlight of my week. Literally. So here's my unsolicited advice: find a place to volunteer, and make a commitment to volunteer there on an ongoing basis. You will get so much out of it, by forming longterm relationships with the "clients" and staff.

What are your volunteer commitments? Or what commitments would you like to make?

1 comment:

Jos Myers said...

400 hours is a huge accomplishment! I tend to volunteer too much and then be overextended. I have goals in terms of what I want to accomplish, for example: to build a playground. I really should set aside time to do my volunteer work so that I have focused time rather than haphazardly doing things as I think of them!