Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hip-Hop Philanthropy

I'm totally intrigued by celebrity philanthropy. I just got an email about Eminem's (a rapper) philanthropy, his charitable foundation, and his collaboration with Nike to create a limited edition sneaker to be auctioned off for charity. While I'm not a huge Eminem fan (but I AM a huge hip-hop fan), I was happy to see that the organization partnering on this project, ninemillion.org, helps kids in Uganda and Thailand, two countries I've visited which are very close to my heart.

I'm fixated on my entrepeneurial hero, Russell Simmons, otherwise known as the "Godfather of Hip-Hop." Business leader, community activist, philanthropist... and a dedicated yoga practioner to boot! His foundation is Rush Philanthropic. Rapper Ludacris also has a foundation, which sounds terrific. And of course, there are my absolute favorites, the BEASTIE BOYS - major human rights and political activists.

Have anything to add to the hip-hop philanthropy list?

No comments: