Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A childhood charity icon


The Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Telethon was soooooooo a part of my childhood! I vividly remember watching all of the musical acts, watching that electronic board to see how much money was raised (didn't the board have a name? a female name?), and collecting money to donate. I actually remember putting an envelope full of NICKLES, yes nickles, into my mailbox. It must have weighed 5 pounds.

As you may have heard, Jerry Lewis is retiring from the MDA Telethon. He'll still serve as National Chairman of MDA, but no more MDA all-nighters for this 85 year old icon. He has raised BILLIONS of dollars for this worthy cause, and I'd venture a guess that he inspired millions of people in America to make their very first donation to charity.

Hats off to Jerry Lewis! And a big, big thank you.

No comments: