I went to the National Press Club last Friday to hear Ludacris (née Chris Bridges) talk about his philanthropic, delivered via his foundation, the Ludacris Foundation.
- Ludacris and rapper T.I. each gave $10,000 to Atlanta flood relief, and then, through a series of phone calls to music industry friends, raised $100,000 in one day.
- The Foundation is involved in some great causes, including helping runaways (he had a song about this), teaching kids about living healthy lifestyles (i.e. obesity prevention), and economic stimulus work in Atlanta.
- Ludacris is very proud of both the money that has been given away and the direct services hours he's given. He is committed to being a physical presence among the people he is helping.
- His diamond earrings were as big as golf balls!
- When asked what the best thing is about being a celebrity is, he said "You have all this money, and people STILL give you free stuff!"
Overall, he was charming, intelligent, and super impressive. Chris, I'm ready for our one-on-one lunch!