Monday, May 19, 2008

How to Help Myanmar/Burma

When I first heard about the devastating cyclone that hit Myanmar/Burma, my first thought was "I want to make a donation to help the relief effort." But then, when I heard about how the government was restricting aid workers and relief supplies from getting to the victims who need them, I felt stymied. If I make a donation, will it even get where it needs to go?

According to this article on SFGate (affiliated w/ the San Francisco Chronicle), there was a meeting of more than 50 philanthropists and financial advisers on Friday to figure out how to get aid to the people who need it. The article includes a list of the most effective organizations to which you can send donations.

Read the article, and the list of organiztions, here.

No comments: